Zoodles with Spicy Shrimp and Roasted Tomatoes
When your craving for pasta strikes but you want something on the healthier side, try making zoodles! Zoodles are simply zucchini put through a spiralizer which makes them into the shape of pasta noodles with a similar texture. They only take minutes to saute and can be topped with any of your favorite pasta sauces. Here is one of my favorite zoodle combos that I created. It is simple to prepare, and tastes great without the guilt of eating regular flour based pasta.
4 medium sized zucchini
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 lb shrimp: peeled, deveined and tails removed
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it extra spicy)
3 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
fresh grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss tomatoes with 1tbs olive oil and a pinch of salt and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in pre-heated oven and roast for 20 minutes.
2. While tomatoes are roasting, spiralize 4 zucchinis into a large bowl.
3. When tomatoes have a few minutes left to roast get started on cooking the shrimp. Heat a large sauté pan on high and add in the remainder of the olive oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and shrimp to the pan and toss together.
4. Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes/side or until they are opaque in the center.
5. Place the zoodles in a large wok and heat on medium high. Toss in the roasted tomatoes, shrimp, garlic, and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
6. Combine everything and continue to saute until the zoodles soften to your liking (approx 5 minutes)
7. Divide into bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan.
8. Eat and enjoy!