It's Spring! Take Your Workout Outside
I don't want to speak to soon, but I think the winter is finally behind us here in Chicago. When the sun comes out, you can quickly see the shift of energy throughout the city. When it peaks above 50 degrees the shorts and sun dresses are coming out. This means its time to step off the treadmill and out of the gym and get outside for your workout. The benefits of exercising outside are endless, especially after the cold and dark winter months. One of the most important benefits of taking your workout outdoors is getting some VITAMIN D! There are very few naturally occurring sources of Vitamin D, but that sweet sunshine is one of them. As little as 15 minutes a day out in the sun can help you get your daily dose of Vitamin D. Besides getting your Vitamin D dose, here are several other reasons to take your workouts outside.
1. Fresh air does wonders for improving your mood. Quit sucking in the recycled air in the gym and get outside for some fresh, clean air.
2. We spend all day indoors at work, why spend your workout indoors too? Getting off your butt and away from any electronic stimulants feels so good.
3. You're more likely to workout longer outdoors than you are indoors. There are less distractions (aka people watching at the gym), and your natural energy really kicks in when you're exercising outside.
4. Its FREE! There are no gym memberships outdoors....wohoooo.
5. Nature can be very inspiring, and being active in nature helps clear your mind after a busy day.
6. Outdoor workouts are much more functional (running on various surfaces mimics more real life movement). Real life has hills, sharp turns, and uneven ground, best to practice in its more natural elements.
7. You get to explore your city and discover new things. This is one of my favorite things about running outdoors!
Here is a strait forward, 30 minute workout to try next time you take your workout outdoors:
Warm up- 5 minute jog
3 sets of 12 reps
1 minute plank
3 sets of 30 seconds
5 Minutes cool down jog + Stretch
These are just a few of the many benefits of taking your workouts outdoors, not to mention their are several FREE outdoor group workouts throughout the city. I am co-leading an outdoor bootcamp for The North Face Mountain Athletics every Tuesday night @ 6:30pm in Lincoln Park. Come join us, meet some new friends, and get a kick ass workout while enjoying all the benefits of exercising outdoors!
Sign up for Tuesdays workout below:
See you next week!