Is Turmeric the New Kale?
Food trends come and go, but recently I have been seeing a lot of press on turmeric. Much like Kale was all the rage the past two years boasting its superfood nutritional content, turmeric looks to be the next big thing. So you may ask, what is turmeric? Well, turmeric has been around way before foods were even considered to be trendy. Turmeric is a plant native to Southeast India, and the root has long been used for its medicinal purposes and strong anti-inflammatory properties. The spice is mainly used in curries and mustard and has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and smells a bit like ginger. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. Here are a few of the awesome benefits of consuming turmeric as well as some tips to help with the nutrient absorption.
1. Helps fight inflammatory diseases (great for treating arthritis symptoms)
2. Improves liver function by acting as strong liver detoxifier- yeah for a clean liver!
3. Dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body- zap those free radicals!
4. Has an ability to both prevent and even help treat cancer
5. Helps to decrease muscle soreness after intense workouts- yeah for quick recovery!
One thing that is important to know about turmeric is that it is fat-soluble, which means it dissolves in fat. Without fat, the active component in turmeric has a difficult time making it past the stomach, into the small intestine, and into the blood where it can offer its most powerful benefits. In light of the recent freezing cold Chicago weather (-26 degrees today!!) I created a recipe for a Warming Turmeric Tea. I included coconut oil (a great fat) in the tea to help with the turmeric absorption. Enjoy!
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 inch knob of ginger, grated
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp honey
1. Place all ingredients in a pot on the stove and bring to a simmer.
2. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat
3. Place mixture in your vitamix and blend on high until frothy
4. Pour into a mug and enjoy all the healing benefits!
Stay warm out there!