Homemade Pecan Butter
Nut butters are a delicious and nutrient dense snack, when eaten in moderation of course. Nuts contain protein, good fats, and loads of vitamins and minerals, and are an easy and portable snack for on the the go. Most nut butters at the grocery store run around $10-15 a jar, so I gave it a shot making my own pecan butter at home. It's and easy and quick recipe, and turned out delicious. You can spread it on toast, fruit or use it in a smoothie.
2 1/2 cups pecans
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
pinch of cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lay out the pecans on a baking sheet and roast for 8-10 minutes (they should start smelling sweet and nutty)
3. When they have cooled, place them in a vitamix or food processor and start blending on low
4. The oils from the nuts will start to release, add the salt, cinnamon and coconut oil and continue blending until smooth and creamy, continuously scraping the butter from the edges (5-7 minutes)
5. Store in a mason jar or sealed jar at either room temp or in the fridge
I spread the pecan butter on ezekiel toast and topped it with banana and apple slices, delicious!